Beginner Learn to Throw Pottery Classes
Now Taking Bookings!
Exciting news, wheel throwing pottery workshops have begun.
Come along and learn to throw on the pottery wheel, make your own dinnerware, design, paint & glaze your very own pot. Be prepared to get messy, meet new friends, have a few laughs and best of all – you get to take your own unique hand made clay creation home.
When: Book Now! (click on a time in calendar to make a booking)
Where: Home based studio (garage) 39b Clifton Road, Clifton Beach QLD 4879 – House in Middle
Cost: $70 per 3hr class, or book 4 classes at once for just $250 (save $30!). Price includes use of all tools, equipment, clay, glazes & firings.
Bookings Essential: Spaces are limited (max 4 per class).
Generally it takes around 4 classes to complete a piece from scratch to completion. Below is a guide, however pottery is self paced, so I encourage you to take your time and enjoy the process:
- Week 1: Learn the basics of throwing on the pottery wheel: centering & pulling. Practice pulling cylinders.
- Week 2: Throwing – practice, practice, practice & throw your first pot, a bowl or vase on the pottery wheel.
- Week 3: Trimming – trim your pot, make your mark & shape your bottoms.
- Week 4: Hand paint, decorate & apply glazes to your bisque fired pots.
What to bring / What NOT to bring:
- Wear comfy clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty.
- Don’t bring or wear a watch, rings or bracelets. It is best to keep your arms bare from elbows down.
- Keep your fingernails short. False or acrylic nails are OK but they won’t make it easy, the shorter the better.
- A hair tie or headband or cap if you have long hair to keep hair out of your face while you’re bent over the wheel.
- Feel free to bring any of your own tools if you have them (marked with your name), but not necessary as all items will be supplied.
What you’ll make:
Initially we will be centering and pulling cylinders. Beginners will start with a bowl and/or vase, and & will continue to make a mug, and pull and attach your own handles.
You can make whatever your heart desires…. Bowls, vases, mugs, plates, candle holders, lidded jars, dinnerware… Come along and create what you like, enjoy spending time with new friends who have a passion for pottery.
Note: Please keep in mind this is a very casual class. Workshops do not follow a strict timetable, it is self paced learning whilst having fun. This is an adult beginners potters group, no children under 16yrs.
Please Note: Click onto a time then enter your details and click ‘Book Now’. To book more than one workshop at a time, you need to add one to your cart then view cart, continue shopping or return to workshop page to add another booking.
Stick in the Muds Pottery is 100% Australian made. Hand thrown by myself on the pottery wheel, then trimmed, carved, glazed & fired from my home studio at Clifton Beach in Far North Queensland.All clay used is midfire stoneware, fired to cone 6, 1220 degrees celcius and all glazes are lead free and food safe. As each piece is hand crafted, slight variations in shape and glaze will always occur. Whilst these pieces are all thrown and shaped to the same specifications, by the very nature of the way in which they are created, the piece you receive will be uniquely individual.To keep this piece at it’s very best, I always recommend hand wash only. As with all pottery, it can chip or break if knocked or dropped, please take extra care. Postage will be automatically calculated at checkout based on your post code. Click here for further info on postage costs.