Beginner Learn to Throw Pottery Workshops
Now Taking Bookings for August!
Exciting news, wheel throwing pottery workshops are about to begin.
Come along and learn to throw on the pottery wheel, make your own dinnerware, design, paint & glaze your very own pot. Be prepared to get messy, meet new friends, have a few laughs and best of all – over time and a few classes under your belt, you’ll be hooked and will thoroughly enjoy using your very own unique hand made clay creations!
When: Book NOW! (click on a time in calendar at bottom of page to make a booking)
Where: Home based studio (garage) 39b Clifton Road, Clifton Beach QLD 4879 – House in Middle
Cost: $70 per 3hr class, or book 4 classes at once for just $250 (save $30!). Price includes use of all tools, equipment, clay, glazes & firings.
Bookings Essential: Spaces are limited (max 4 per class).
Generally it takes around 4 classes to complete a piece from scratch to completion. Below is a rough guide on what to expect, however pottery is self paced, so I encourage you to take your time and enjoy the process. Please keep in mind if you book just one class only you won’t be able to take a completed fired piece home with you after the first class. You are welcome to take your green (un-fired) piece of pottery home with you, or leave it with me to fire in its current state and you can collect at a later stage, or book another session at a later date to continue on with classes and finish your pieces.
- Class 1: Learn the basics of throwing on the pottery wheel: centering & pulling. Practice pulling cylinders.
- Class 2: Throwing – keep on practicing, practice, practice & throw your first pot, a bowl or small vase on the pottery wheel.
- Class 3: Trimming – trim your pot, make your mark & shape your bottoms. Your pot will have it’s first bisque firing in the kiln after it has been trimmed and has been left to become fully bone dry.
- Class 4: Hand paint, decorate & apply glazes to your bisque fired pots. Your pot will then have a second firing in the kiln and you can return to collect your finished pieces at a later date.
What to bring / What NOT to bring:
- Wear comfy clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty & covered in shoes.
- Don’t bring or wear a watch, rings or bracelets. It is best to keep your arms bare from elbows down.
- Keep your fingernails short. False or acrylic nails are OK but they won’t make it easy, the shorter the better.
- A hair tie or headband or cap if you have long hair to keep hair out of your face while you’re bent over the wheel.
- You are welcome to bring any of your own tools if you have them (marked with your name), but not necessary as all items will be supplied.
- Bring a jumper or long sleeve T-shirt, it can get cool in the garage, especially night classes and your hands will be in water most of the class.
What is supplied?
All materials are supplied so you don’t need to bring a thing. Clay, tools, glazes, brushes, aprons, towels, tea & coffee are all supplied.
What you’ll make:
Initially we will be centering and pulling cylinders. Beginners will start with a bowl and/or vase, and & will continue to make a mug, and pull and attach your own handles.
You can make whatever your heart desires…. Bowls, vases, mugs, plates, candle holders, lidded jars, dinnerware… Come along and create what you like, enjoy spending time with new friends who have a passion for pottery.
Can Children Attend Classes?
No, Sorry. Not at this stage. This is an adult beginners potters group, so no children under 16yrs. I do not currently have a blue card to be able to work with children, but it’s on my list to apply for one shortly. In the meantime, check out Coffee & Clay at Yungaburra, they run excellent children’s pottery painting workshops.
Location & Parking
Workshops are run out of my home garage. When you arrive you’ll notice it is a shared driveway with three houses using the same driveway. I am the house in the middle. You are welcome to drive all the way down the driveway and there is plenty of room to park in front of my garage or on the grass in the back yard. (Please don’t park along the actual driveway or block access for the neighbours to get out).
Please Note: Click onto a time below then enter your details and click ‘Book Now’. To book more than one class/workshop at a time, you need to add one to your cart then view cart, continue shopping or return to workshop page to add another booking.