Register your Expression of Interest Today!
Exciting news, evening wheel throwing pottery workshops are in the pipeline.
Come along and learn to throw on the pottery wheel, make your own dinnerware, design, paint & glaze, hand build or create a clay sculpture – the choice is yours. Be prepared to get messy, meet new friends, have a few laughs and best of all – you get to take your own unique hand made clay creation home.
When: TBA – Possibly Friday Evenings or Saturday Mornings (see basic schedule below).
Where: Home based studio, Clifton Beach QLD 4879
Cost: $300 for 4 x 3hr classes (or $75 per class). Price includes use of all tools, equipment, clay, glazes & firings.
Bookings Essential: Spaces will be limited. Please register your interest by filling out the form below.
Generally it takes around 4 classes to complete a piece from scratch to completion. Below is a general guide, however pottery is self paced, so I encourage you to take your time and enjoy the process:
- Week 1: Learn the basics of throwing on the pottery wheel: centering & pulling
- Week 2: Throwing – practice, practice, practice & throw your first pot, a bowl or vase on the pottery wheel.
Time needed in between classes for pieces to dry to leather hard stage
- Week 3: Trimming – trim your pot, make your mark & shape your bottoms.
Time needed in between classes for your pot to completely bone dry. Pieces are then bisque fired during the week prior to your next class.
- Week 4: Hand paint, decorate & apply glazes to your bisque fired pots.
Pieces have their second final glaze firing during the week.
- Week 5: Collect your final glazed items & start all over again!
What to bring / What NOT to bring:
- Wear comfy clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty & covered in shoes.
- Don’t bring or wear a watch, rings or bracelets. It is best to keep your arms bare from elbows down.
- Keep your fingernails short. False or acrylic nails are OK but they won’t make it easy, the shorter the better.
- A hair tie or headband or cap if you have long hair to keep hair out of your face while you’re bent over the wheel.
- Feel free to bring any of your own tools if you have them (marked with your name), but not necessary as all items will be supplied.
What you’ll make:
Initially we will be centering and pulling cylinders. Beginners will start with a bowl and/or vase, and & will continue to make a mug, and pull and attach your own handles.
You can make whatever your heart desires…. Bowls, vases, mugs, plates, candle holders, lidded jars, dinnerware… Come along and create what you like, enjoy spending time with new friends who have a passion for pottery.
Note: Please keep in mind this is a very casual class. Workshops do not follow a strict timetable, it is self paced learning whilst having fun. This is an adult beginners potters group, no children under 16yrs.