Beginner Learn to Throw Pottery Classes
SPACES ARE LIMITED – BOOK TODAY!
Come along and learn to throw on the pottery wheel, make your own dinnerware, design, paint & glaze your very own pot. Be prepared to get messy, meet new friends, have a few laughs and best of all – over time and a few classes under your belt, you’ll be hooked and will thoroughly enjoy using your very own unique hand made clay creations!
When: Book NOW! (click on any time in calendar at bottom of page to make a booking, there is no start date, everyone is at different stages)
Where: Home based studio (garage) 39b Clifton Road, Clifton Beach QLD 4879 – House in Middle
Cost: $70 per 3hr class, or book 4 classes at once for just $250 (save $30!). Price includes use of all tools, equipment, clay, glazes & firings of up to 8 pieces.
Please note if you book 1 class only you don’t get to take any completed pieces home with you.
What: A maximum of 8 pottery pieces will be fired and glazed per person, per 4 class block.
Clay: School Clay is used in beginner classes which is slightly coarse and the easiest to throw with.
Bookings Essential: Spaces are limited to 4 per class.
Wheels: There are 8 pottery wheels, however each session has 4 wheels reserved for classes and 4 are reserved for Wheel Time students. If you have a large group or would like to have more than 4 people in a beginners class together, please contact me and we can schedule a time for your group.
It takes 4 classes to complete a piece from scratch to completion. Below is a guide on what to expect, however pottery is self paced, so I encourage you to take your time and enjoy the process. Please keep in mind if you book just one class only you won’t be able to take a completed fired piece home with you. You are welcome to take your green (un-fired) pieces of pottery home with you, or book another session at a later date to continue on with classes and finish your pieces.
A Maximum of 8 pieces will be fired per person, so you can practice making as many pieces as you like in the time frame, however only your best 8 pieces will be fired and glazed, the rest will be recycled.
- Class 1: Learn the basics of throwing on the pottery wheel: centering & pulling. Practice pulling cylinders.
- Class 2: Throwing – keep on practicing, practice, practice & throw your first pot, a bowl or small vase on the pottery wheel.
- Class 3: Trimming – trim your pots, carve or decorate, add handles to mugs, make your mark & shape your bottoms. Your pots will have it’s first bisque firing in the kiln after it has been trimmed and has been left to become fully bone dry. A Maximum of 8 pieces will be fired, so keep your best 8 and we will recycle the rest.
- Class 4: Hand paint & apply glazes to your bisque fired pots. Your pot will then have a second firing in the kiln and you can return to collect your finished pieces at a later date.
What to bring / What NOT to bring:
- Wear comfy clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty.
- Don’t bring or wear a watch, rings or bracelets. It is best to keep your arms bare from elbows down.
- Keep your fingernails short. False or acrylic nails are OK but they won’t make it easy, the shorter the better.
- A hair tie or headband or cap if you have long hair to keep hair out of your face while you’re bent over the wheel.
- You are welcome to bring any of your own tools if you have them (marked with your name), but not necessary as all items will be supplied.
- Bring a jumper or long sleeve T-shirt, it can get cool in the garage, especially night classes and your hands will be in water most of the class.
What you’ll make:
Initially we will be centering and pulling cylinders. Beginners will start with a bowl and/or vase, and & may continue to make a mug, and pull and attach your own handles.
You can make whatever your heart desires…. Bowls, vases, mugs, plates, candle holders, jars, dinnerware… Come along and create what you like, enjoy spending time with new friends who have a passion for pottery.
Can Children Attend Classes?
No, Sorry. Not at this stage. This is an adult beginners potters group, so no children under 16yrs. Check out Coffee & Clay at Yungaburra, they run excellent children’s pottery painting workshops.
Location & Parking
39b Clifton Road, Clifton Beach.
Workshops are run out of my home garage. When you arrive you’ll notice it is a shared driveway with three houses using the same driveway. I am the house in the middle. You are welcome to drive all the way down the driveway and there is plenty of room to park in front of my garage or on the grass in the back yard. (Please don’t park along the actual driveway or block access for the neighbours to get out).
How to Book:
IMPORTANT: You need to ‘Create an Account’. If you checkout as a guest or if you don’t create an account you won’t be able to make any changes to your bookings, and if you cannot make a class for any reason and you have not rescheduled your booking to another time you will lose your spot AND you will lose your money – sorry no refunds for no shows or last minute cancellations.
By creating an account you can log back in at any time and make changes or reschedule your booking if required. If you don’t create an account you won’t be able to make any changes to your booking.
To book more than one class or session at a time, you need to add one to your cart at a time. ie. click onto the first date then add to cart then return to calendar to add another booking then add the next one to cart also.
Classes are on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays only, so the calendar only shows these 4 days each week. Use arrow to scroll to up-coming weeks.
Rescheduling & Cancellations:
Bookings cannot be rescheduled within 24hrs. If you cannot make a class within 24hrs of your booking you will forfeit your spot & lose your money. Sorry – no refunds for ‘no shows’ or last minute cancellations within 24hrs.
Please do not text or email to Reschedule or Cancel a booking at last minute. You must log into your account to reschedule. Log In. Click onto ‘Bookings’ left hand side, then click onto the ‘Reschedule’ or ‘Cancel’ button. If there is no button you may have left it too late, the reschedule & cancel button will automatically dissapear 24hrs before your scheduled class.
Sorry – but unfortunately I have had too many people reschedule or cancel at last minute which costs time & money. I cannot afford to hold a place or block the calendar for someone who doesn’t show. We’ve got a great little potting community and I hate it when people miss out on a spot because the class is full and they can’t get in. So unfortunately by canceling at last minute it ruins the night for everyone. If you’re not sure whether you can make a class, please don’t book in the first place. Please wait until you’re 100% sure that you can make it before you book any spot and block it on the calendar for anyone else.
Thanks so much for your understanding.
Blue = Beginner Learn to Throw Classes
Green = Wheel Time (click here for information on Wheel Time)